Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Day of Rest


Today is an off day at A Bowl Full of Lemons and it has provided me some time for reflection I'll share with you all.  A few weeks ago our pastor challenged the congregation with this passage:

     “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
 Matthew 6:19-21

He encouraged us to think of this passage in modern terms.  What do I have in my pantry that has already expired, what do I have in my closet that I am hanging onto in hopes I will be able to wear it one day (lets face it after two kiddos, I'll never be as small as I was in high school).  What am I storing up here "just in case" when it could be used for others?  So, this 21 days to getting organized has been a wonderful tool for me to look at what I have in my house that I don't need but someone else may be able to use.  

Well, how can I store up my treasures in heaven instead of here on earth?  I was really challenged yesterday while driving to look at some cowboy boots when I saw a man with everything he owned (and some cans for recycling) pushing a bicycle.  So, instead of using the $150 I got for Christmas for those cowboy boots (that I have really been wanting) I'm going to donate it!

Tarzan and I also want to instill this in our children so we have been talking about applying it to Monkey's 2nd birthday.  Instead of toys (lets face it the kid has his own personal fleet of Tonka trucks), we are asking for money to go toward his college savings then donating 25% of that money to Monkeys Birthday Charity Water Campaign.  
 
Did you know that millions of people don't live to see their 5th birthday. And why? Because they didn't have access to clean, safe water.  Every penny of the money raised at mycharitywater.org goes directly to fund freshwater wells in developing nations. Even better, every dollar is "proved" when the projects are complete, and photos and GPS coordinates are posted using Google Earth.  Our goal is to raise $200 even if we don't reach it, whatever we do raise goes straight to making a well anyways!!


Well I believe I've said enough today, I'll be back tomorrow with my pantry reveal!  


No comments:

Post a Comment