Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hospital Essentials

Hospital Essentials

I am by no means an expert on childbirth/child rearing but I feel after 3 children I have something to share with other mommas.  Also, my sweet friend recently asked me for a list of hospital essentials for childbirth and I felt a blog post would sum it up perfectly.  With my first child I had no idea what I needed and ended up bringing a lot of stuff I really didn't need and didn't have a lot of stuff I actually could have used.  I was probably most prepared for my second child but my third little angel came most unexpectedly and I really had nothing packed or prepared but I knew what I needed and was able to get those few things to make my stay (which ended up being 4 days) more comfortable.

Essentials For mom-
Nursing Tanks/Outfits for 3 days-I had some really great nursing tanks that had a shelf bra and allowed me to nurse without removing.  They are no longer available but this shirt is very similar.  I really liked that I could wear them in the hospital, sleep in them and wear them out.  I also loved some button front pajamas hubby got me with my third baby.  They allow for nursing while being covered up (nice for winter months).  These are the sleeping bras I really liked (from Target)


 
 Nursing Bra                                           Nursing Shirt


Nursing Pads-I just packed a few disposable ones
Toiletries-Shampoo, razor, soap
Nursing Pillow- I am in LOVE with this Mombo from Babies R Us.  It is very supportive and also is good for tummy time.  My littles love the taggies, too.

Chapstick, Gum, Hair Tie/Headband-These are great comforts while you're laboring.
Camera
Phone Charger
White Noise-This is an absolute MUST for me and makes sleeping the hospital so much nicer!  I used a white noise ap for my cell phone and it worked great.

Nice Additions for Mom-
Blanket-This was really more of a necessity for me but since technically the hospital does have blankets I put it in this category.
Music-Maybe add headphones too?  I really needed a distraction with my first but didn't have time with the other two.
House Shoes/Socks-The hospital will give you some of those itchy socks with rubber bottoms so it's not necessary to pack your own shoes but it's really nice to have shoes so you can slip them off easily when you get in bed.
Snacks-After giving birth I seriously have the appetite of a teenage boy.  Nothing seems to satisfy (especially that awesome hospital food).  With my second, my mom bought a dozen doughnuts and they were a life saver between meals and at 3am when I was feeding little bug and I was starving.  So you might want to pack some granola bars, crackers or something that will fit in your suitcase.

Essentials for Dad-
Something to do- (this was all Tarzan had to contribute to this post) but it's really true especially if you are going to be nursing.  They can change diapers and help you move around but mostly he was sitting still.
Change of clothes, Pajamas

Essentials for Baby-
Our birthing facilities had everything we needed for our new bundles.  Diapers, wipes, formula, shampoo, blankets, a little outfit, and a hat.
Baby Gowns-Knowing the hospital had a little shirt for baby and they were bundled in a blanket I still brought a couple gowns for my babies.  I love the little ones with covers for their hands like these gowns.  They make changes easy and since our babies had security anklets other sleepers weren't really an option.
Blanket-I liked having one of our blankets in the little bassinet.  You will also want a blanket to put over baby to go home.
Hats/Bows/Socks-I made sure to bring bows and hats for my girlies and snapped a few pictures of them in the hospital.
Homecoming Outfit-I'm sure you already have something picked out I would just recommend something with legs instead of a gown or dress.  These are difficult to get into the carseat.
Carseat-Go ahead and install the base in your car, this will make it much easier when you get ready to leave.

I'm pretty sure that's it but will update if I remember any thing.

A little note: I am just a mom sharing what worked for me with other moms.  I have not been 
asked to advertise the items above, they were items I purchased for my personal use while I was pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment